Tuesday, September 27, 2011

To Be a Tree

Back to the Journal Jar...

If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be?  Why?

I think I'd most like to be an oak tree, majestically towering over a field in a rural area of the world.  I'd inspire those who would pause beneath me, to honor the forces that brought my greatness into being.

It might also be fun to be a Christmas tree, adorning the treasured trinkets of families at that special time of year.  Sure, you'd be sacrificed for the holiday, set out on the curb to be recycled after festivities were done, but you'd have one heck of a going out party.

I would love to be a great redwood, tall and evergreen, moored amongst my brothers and sisters in a grove of amazing grandeur.  It would be cool to be so tall, so alive with smaller species and growing and living in concert with several hundreds of thousands of different life forms.  I would have quite a vantage point, if I could somehow see from the tips of my leaves or the crest of my top.

I'd want to be a tree that had a long life span, so I could observe the coming and going of days and nights, of weather patterns, of seasons.  I'd watch as other crops were planted and harvested, other trees toppled and rotted.

What do you think?  What kind of tree would you want to be?


No comments: