Monday, May 5, 2014

A Post Is a Post

Here's something I posted elsewhere.  I think even though it was in response to somebody else's post, it kinda stands alone.  I guess, however, that I'm quoting myself out of context, which we all know is dangerous.  So there's that.

Begin previous post in 3... 2... 1...   "Thanks for sharing your views without judgement or indictment (unless, of course, you're an asshole). I'll go ahead and share my experience, for what it's worth, and so people can react or ignore or whatever. I was raised for the most part without religion, mainly because A) my dad had bad experiences with the Catholic church, and B) when I was young and identified as "gifted" my mom got advice to "keep him away from religion" and she did. So when I stayed the night at my friend's house, I was uncomfortable and lost when they took me along to church the next morning. But I think I've always been a spiritual being, wondering existentially about my place in the universe and about God. I've come to realize that I do believe in God, but I've yet to determine exactly what that means. I have limited knowledge of the Bible, or other religious texts, for that matter. But the idea that all of this means something greater than I have the faculties to even realize seems somehow right to me. I'm reminded of how I believe that truth is organic, dynamic, and fluid, like light is both a particle and a wave. We are many things, yin and yang, cycling paradoxically. I once read a characterization of the Hindu religion as the oldest religion of the world, yet it is also perhaps the youngest, because it allows for the authority of living teachers and corrections and evolution (paraphrasing the Complete Idiot's Guide). We are all of us moving targets, moving towards moving targets that we just can't quite grasp long enough to fully realize. I too love what little I know about the story of Jesus, and I respect your faith. I honor the passion to live a passionate life, honoring others. I feel like we are on similar paths. But each step we take is our own, as we journey through all of this. Again, thanks for sharing."

As always, I'd love to hear your input.  All comments welcome.

No comments: