Wednesday, January 27, 2010

SARK Retreat


It was a wonderful, enriching, supportive weekend.

My wife and I attended the SARK Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper Writer’s Retreat in Big Sur last weekend. Over twenty people gathered to play games, write from prompts, and just generally grow with each other. We learned to spread our wings, not fear flying, to trust, and to love ourselves. In fact, we were encouraged to hug ourselves regularly!

We met Magnus, the “curator” at the Henry Miller Library. He also assisted with the logistics of the conference, helping out here and there. He gave a reading of one judge’s rendered opinion on Henry Miller’s Tropic of Cancer– a scathing, ruthlessly bitter piece of vitriol that attempted to cast Miller’s soul to the depths of Hell. A very entertaining reading. And then Magnus played some guitar and sang for us, “Marylin Monroe Didn’t Marry Henry Miller!”

The food was first rate. New England style Clam Chowder with an ocean of clams, Bolognese sauce that was balanced tangy and sweet, desserts so yummy, breakfast right scrumptious– personalized omeletes made right at the buffet to your specifications. Lots of fresh fruit, locally grown– even the oatmeal was good, with berries and a bit of brown sugar.

But the real nutrition of the event came from SARK. For those of you not familiar with her, her full name is Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy, and she’s “written” several best selling books on personal transformation and the like. I say “written” because she more acurately draws her books by hand. They’re manuscripts of artwork, with flourishing color.

I first encountered SARK in a small bookstore in Mt. Shasta City. I was struggling with my life, depressed, and in need of change. In need of direction, help, assistance– whatever, I needed to flip a “u-ie” and get back on track towards the living. SARK’s book “Make Your Creative Dreams REAL” found me that day. It was so pleasantly colorful, and the message was so approachable and supportive that I just knew it was going to help me.

This was my second workshop with SARK, and some of the things were review, but this time I really connected with new messages of self-love and self support– self belief that I can do whatever I truly aspire to do.

At one point, during a small break in the workshop, SARK pulled me aside and told me that my writing was very good, and that I should be writing whatever it is that I feel I should write, with no holding back.

So here you are, folks. I’m putting it out there. Because I’m allowing myself to believe in myself. I can do this. I shall do this. And may you all enjoy the ride with me.

Thanks for reading. Blessings for you all.

3 comments:

Suzy said...

I believe in you, too!

Deb said...

Me three. I have read enough "bad" writing to last me a lifetime. We readers thirst for more good stuff-- like your juicy writing. I feel a bit like Tantalus, though; I never quite get my thirst quenched completely, which is why I keep coming back for more. Love you, Brudder.

Gerri said...

Me fourth! I have always believed in you and will continue to do so. (Mothers are like that, ya know!) But I really and truly do enjoy your writing. You just have a way with words. Keep up the good work.